Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 15 – Sunday 18/1

This morning we had the first sleep in since arriving and it felt great! It wasn’t long before reality beckoned though, and I got a phone call from Liam at the telegraph asking us to come in and put together the photos we took at last night’s Bollywood party. Since James did most of the work with the camera, Nadia and I went in to load them onto the computer and write captions and an introduction. James took some pretty good shots and I think they will definitely add some colour to the newspaper.

In the afternoon I went with Nadia to Joanie’s place for an interview Nadia arranged with Joanie (she is hoping to write a profile about her). Grant Bussel was there also and we had a chat over a glass of wine. It was technically Nadia’s interview so I didn’t talk much but absorbed a lot of what Joanie and Grant had to say. I actually learnt a bit from Nadia, who is a natural interviewer (where as with me it doesn’t come so easily).

I think Nadia pulled at Joanie’s heartstrings when she asked about Joan’s adopted daughter Anika. Joanie adopted Anika when she was just 18 months old and was struggling in hospital. Anika spent the first few years of her life in hospital and Joanie said that is not uncommon for Indigenous children around the area. Anika’s mother had been an alcoholic, diminishing Anika’s chances of being a healthy baby – and she came out with spina bifeda and kidney problems. Anika is a really strong person though, and she’s living a highly fulfilling life as a high school student in Port Hedland.

Tonight Nadia and I joined the BHP guys at their house and ate freshly caught barramundi. Yum! It really helps that we have made friends up here and the people are so welcoming. I have to say I am enjoying the vibes in Hedland…

No comments:

Post a Comment