Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 19 - Thursday 22/1

I didn't start working until late this morning as I waited for Nadia to undergo an interview with a lady from ABC radio - Nadia may have an opportunity to work in Karratha for ABC. I got to CUCRH at about ten and transcribed the interview I conducted with Helen Pianta on Tuesday. Listening back to my own interviews always teaches me something - from this one I learnt that I need to be more direct with my line of questioning. I think I crossed the line between interview and casual conversation, but the interview was still okay.

Today was James' day at the Telegraph, and Nadia and I played with a few ideas for the radio show we are to do tomorrow. We know that we will be speaking to someone from the water polo club, as we visited the aquatic centre yesterday. As to the other people we will talk to we aren't quite sure yet, but we should find someone in this friendly town.

We collected James at about lunchtime and had a chat with Liam at the Telegraph about the stories we would be covering this week. As for me I haven't had much chance to work on anything other than the World Indigenous People's Conference article. James and Nadia are also working on an article each.

Tonight I was lucky enough to go on a tour of the BHP Iron Ore mine at Nelson Point. I was driven around site by Dwane and I got pretty close to some big machinery, including the car-dumpers that tip iron ore from train carts into a stockpile, a reclaimer that collects the iron ore and sends it down a conveyor-belt and a stacker which seperates the ore into different grades. I went into the observation tower and had a view of the entire town. I've become pretty interested in mines since being in Hedland and I now have the aim of seeing as many different kinds as I can.


Me standing in front of a car dumper at BHP


A reclaimer at sunset


Reclaimer close up

No comments:

Post a Comment